This Privacy Statement explains in general terms how Qantas* collects, holds, uses and discloses your personal information under the Australian Privacy Principles.
Specific information about how we collect, use and disclose the personal information of members of our Loyalty Programs*** is contained in the section titled 'Loyalty Programs'.
We may amend this Privacy Statement as our business requirements or the law changes. Any changes to this Privacy Statement will be updated on qantas.com. We may also issue specific privacy collection notices from time-to-time relating to particular products or services.
This Privacy Statement does not apply to Qantas' employee records.
Information We Collect
The types of personal information that we collect about you will depend on our relationship with you, the circumstances of collection and the type of service you request from us. The personal information may include:
- Your name, gender, date of birth, contact details, passport details, image and answer to a security question (for example, mother's maiden name);
- Details related to your flights and other travel details, including your preferences with respect to your travel on our flights;
- Your dietary requirements and health issues which you provide to us in connection with your use of our products and services;
- Payment details (such as credit/debit card number and expiry date) provided in connection with the purchase of our products and services; and
- Loyalty Program membership number and membership details of any other loyalty programs.
If you are an employee travelling or obtaining other products or services in relation to one of our corporate, business or government clients, we may also collect information about your role with the client, your employment type, your employee number, your start date with the client and details of any employer paid travel arrangements.
If you are a shareholder we (or our agent) will collect certain details about you for registration purposes, such as your name, address, number of shares held, tax file number and bank account details. We are required to maintain a register of shareholders under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).
How We Collect Information
We may collect personal information about you when you use our services or purchase our goods, make or update a booking to use our services, register to receive our newsletters or other communications, register to be part of one of our programs, tell us about your preferences when flying with us, fill out medical and other forms associated with your travel, enter into one of our competitions, visit our websites, complete one of our surveys or otherwise interact with us. As well as collecting information directly from you, there may be occasions when we collect information about you from a third party. These third parties may include:
- Travel agents and other people who make or update travel or freight bookings on your behalf, or otherwise interact with us on your behalf, including when you make an inquiry with a travel agent but do not proceed to a booking;
- Our Service providers such as operators of our corporate travel functions or call centres and organisations that issue a Qantas Air Waybill for the carriage of your freight;
- Third parties that run competitions and other promotions for us or for which we are the sponsor;
- Third parties that provide us with marketing leads;
- Immigration, customs, border security and other regulatory authorities;
- Other companies within Qantas and companies in the Jetstar Group; and
- Your share broker when you purchase shares in Qantas Airways Limited.
How We Use Your Personal Information
We may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide and administer our goods and services, including verifying your identity; contacting you about your orders and bookings and travel, freight and other arrangements; processing payments; training our staff; testing our systems; and managing your interaction with our suppliers;
- To provide and operate our competitions, promotions and events;
- To distribute our newsletters and other communications either ourselves or with the assistance of third party services providers;
- For customer support, including resolving and providing assistance for mishandled or missing baggage claims or responding to other enquiries or requests;
- To ensure the safety and security of all passengers when travelling with us, including investigating security and screening issues;
- To facilitate your participation in the Loyalty Programs and loyalty programs of other program partners;
- To conduct marketing activities for our products and services, or products and services of third parties, and to conduct market and other research to improve our products, services and marketing activities;
- To register any shareholding you may have in Qantas Airways Limited and to contact you in relation to that shareholding; and
- To maintain records and comply with our legal obligations, including laws relating to immigration, customs and border security.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to others in connection with the sale and provision of our travel and freight services and our Loyalty Programs, including:
- Other carriers for codeshare and transfer arrangements;
- oneworld alliance airlines, and other airline and non-airline partners participating in the Loyalty Programs for use in the operation and marketing of those programs; and
- Our service providers, including those providing billing services, catering services, chauffeur services, airport lounge operations, and ground handling services (such as check-in agents, freight handling and special assistance).
We may also disclose your personal information to our suppliers and third parties that perform other services for us in connection with the sale and provision of all our goods and services, including third parties who:
- Provide customer service and operate call centres;
- Operate some corporate and government travel sales and fulfilment functions;
- Conduct market research and analysis;
- Provide marketing services;
- Provide information technology services such as airline related systems, data storage, distribution services, passenger and freight booking and processing systems, communication networks, software and system development, maintenance and support, and information processing, analysis and reporting;
- Provide services in the course of investigating a complaint or a security incident; and
- Manage our share registry.
We may also disclose your personal information to comply with our legal obligations, including to various law enforcement agencies, regulatory authorities and governments around the world and their service providers for security, customs and immigration purposes.
Your information may also be shared between companies within Qantas and Jetstar Airways Pty Ltd and its subsidiaries.
If you are an employee of one of our corporate, business or government clients and are travelling for work purposes on a ticket purchased by your employer, we may also disclose your travel details and any information associated with your travel (such as incident reports) to your employer.
Our share register is available for inspection by the public as required under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). The information collected in connection with your shareholding may also be disclosed to regulatory bodies such as the Australian Taxation Office, as well as to print service providers and mail houses.
Information on our Loyalty Program databases (including information about users of products and services available to members of our Loyalty Programs) is used for additional purposes to those outlined in the section titled 'How We Use Your Personal Information'.
One of the primary purposes of these programs is to provide and market enhanced products and services to you, including the products and services of our partners and other third parties who we believe may have products and services in which you would be interested. Other purposes include assessing membership applications; awarding program points; confirming eligibility for and providing services associated with these programs; providing enhanced and personalised benefits and services; understanding your interests and hobbies to enhance your use of the programs; improving our services and customer service, including by means of research, behavioural analytics, product development and planning; and operational management of the programs.
For these purposes, additional information is collected by us through your registration with, and participation in, the Loyalty Programs (including your application for, and use of, a Qantas Frequent Flyer linked credit card, Qantas Travel Money card or any other benefit). This additional information may include information such as country of residence, seating and other travel preferences, leisure and sports interests, and information about how you earn and use your points. This information may be collected from you directly or from third parties providing services for the Loyalty Programs or our program partners, such as when you register through one of our program partners or transact with them.
In addition to the disclosures outlined in the section 'Disclosure of Information to Third Parties', Qantas may disclose this information to partner airlines, oneworld alliance airlines, and non-airline program partners for the purposes outlined above. The information may also be disclosed to any third party providing services for the Loyalty Programs (including products and services available to members), including assisting us in determining your eligibility for, and providing, these products and services, administering the programs, handling and processing membership applications and operating our call and service centres.
If you are an employee travelling or obtaining other products or services in relation to one of our Qantas Business Rewards Loyalty members, we may also collect information about your role with the member, your employment type, your employee number, your start date with the member and details of any employer paid travel arrangements. If you are travelling for work purposes on a ticket purchased by your employer, we may disclose your travel details and any information associated with your travel (such as incident reports) to your employer.
When you are logged into your Loyalty Program account or toolbar, Qantas may also keep logs of your use of qantas.com. When you are logged into a Loyalty Program toolbar Qantas may also keep logs of other non-Qantas webpages you visit. This information may include date and time of visit, Loyalty Program membership number, membership status, surname, location and actions, for example, pages viewed and pages submitted. We may use this information to monitor the use of, and improve, the information and functions on qantas.com, award you points for eligible browsing activities, understand your preferences and provide you with information about our products and services and our partners' products and services which we think may interest you.
When you apply for and use a Qantas Frequent Flyer linked credit card or Qantas Travel Money card, we may also collect your personal information from, and disclose your personal information to:
- Customer verification companies for ID checking and due diligence as required for all financial products;
- Our service providers who manage, and provide customer service for, these financial products; and
- Our card partners to award points for eligible activities.
Membership of and participation in our Loyalty Programs is subject to the respective programs' terms and conditions which can be viewed online at qantas.com.
In addition to the specific information above, Loyalty Program members should read the following general sections:
Loyalty Programs - Qantas Wellbeing App
We may use and disclose your personal information to any association or entity which we have contracted with to provide benefits to you (“Partners”) and any other person (including related bodies corporate, agents and contractors) for the purposes of:
- us or any of our related bodies corporate, providing products or services, including the awarding of Qantas Points;
- us or any of our related bodies corporate improving customer service, including by means of research, marketing, product development and planning;
- us marketing our products or services or the products or services of third parties; and
- any third party providing services to us, any of our related bodies corporate or other App users in connection with the administration of Qantas Wellbeing or the Qantas Frequent Flyer program.
Apple HealthKit Integration: Notwithstanding any other terms in this Privacy Statement, the following terms shall apply to any information gained through use of the HealthKit framework as part of the App.
- Data that we access from HealthKit framework will only be used in certain circumstances, for instance to help you track your health or wellbeing activity.
- Data that we access from HealthKit framework will not be used by Qantas, or shared with third parties, for the purpose of serving advertising.
- Qantas will not disclose information gained through HealthKit framework to a third party without express permission from the user, and only for the purposes of providing a health or fitness service to the user.
If all or any part of the requested information is not provided by you or if you do not give the consent referred to above, the services provided to you by the App or by Qantas may be affected.
On request by you, we will provide you with access to and the ability to correct your personal information held by us unless we are required or permitted by law to refuse that access or correction. Only you will be entitled to access your information. However, we comply with validly served and executed court orders and subpoenas and cooperates with investigations by State, Federal and international agencies. Under those circumstances, or where otherwise required by law, your information may be shared with others with or without your knowledge or consent.
Cookies are small pieces of data stored on the web browser on your computer. This website and associated websites (including those you reach by clicking on advertising) may store cookies on your web browser.
The main reasons we store cookies are to:
- Improve your website browsing experience. For example, to remember your search criteria so you don't have to re-enter them to do multiple searches and to remember your site preferences for your next visit to the site;
- Gather statistics on site usage. For example, page views and drop off points so we can monitor site usage and make improvements to site usability; and
- Enable us to present customised and appropriate messages from Qantas and third parties.
If you are a Loyalty Program member and are logged into your account or the Loyalty Program toolbar, the information we collect via cookies may be linked with your personal information.
You can set up most web browsers so you are notified of when a cookie is received, so you can then either accept or reject it. You can also check the cookies stored by your web browser and remove any that you do not want.
How We Hold Information and Keep it Secure
We hold your personal information in a combination of hard copy and electronic files. We use third party information system providers who may store or have access to your personal information.
We may combine personal information we receive about you with other information we hold about you. This includes information received from our partners or third parties.
When you book flights or access your Loyalty Program membership information, a secure server is used. Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encrypts the information you send through this website.
Disclosure of Information Overseas
In the course of providing our services, we may disclose your personal information (including personal information of our Loyalty Programs' members) to companies within Qantas, subsidiaries of Jetstar Airways Pty Ltd and third parties located overseas who assist us in providing our travel (including transit) and freight services and associated services, and law enforcement agencies, regulatory authorities and governments for security, customs and immigration purposes. These parties may be located in any country to which you send freight or travel to or through with us or our partner airlines.
We may also disclose your personal information to data processors (including operators of global travel distribution systems), customer service providers and managers of our financial products located overseas. The countries in which these third parties are located include the United Kingdom, the United States, the Philippines (only in respect of the Qantas Frequent Flyer toolbar) and Germany.
Access & Correction of Information About You
If you would like to request access to, or correction of, your personal information we hold about you, please contact us using the contact details in the section titled 'Our Contact Details'.
We will provide you with access to the information we hold about you, including for the purpose of correcting or updating that information, unless there is an exception which applies under the Australian Privacy Principles.
We may recover from you our reasonable costs of supplying you with access to this information. However, we will not charge you for the making of the request or to correct or update your personal information.
Your request to provide access to this information will be dealt with within a reasonable time.
If we refuse to provide you with access to, or correct, the information, we will notify you of our reasons for the refusal to the extent required and how you may complain about the refusal.
Loyalty Program members can update their profile information online or by contacting us using the details in the section titled 'Our Contact Details'.
Privacy Complaints and Further Information
If you have a concern about your privacy or you have any query on how your personal information is collected or used please contact us using the details below. We will respond to your query or complaint within a reasonable time.
If you are not satisfied with our response, you may also contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Our Contact Details
You can contact us by completing the form located at:
or by writing to:
Qantas Customer Care
Qantas Airways Limited
10 Bourke Road
Mascot NSW 2020
** Jetstar Group means Jetstar Airways Pty Ltd and its subsidiaries, and all Jetstar branded entities.
*** Loyalty Programs means the Qantas Frequent Flyer Program (including Frequent Flyer linked credit cards and Qantas Travel Money cards), Qantas Business Rewards and the Qantas Club.